Admission to Graduate School

Academic year in Graduate School of Engineering starts from April and October. Necessary process to apply for admission as research student (including those expected to enroll as either master's or doctoral student) is as follows:

  1. Those wishing to study under the Japanese government (Monbukagakusho) scholarship
    1. Please obtain necessary information from the Japanese Embassy or Consulate in your country.
    2. If you need a ”Letter of Acceptance” for your application, you are required to write directly to a professor in the field of study you wish to enroll and obtain a ”Letter of Acceptance” from the professor. Please refer to 2.1. about how to find your professor. The office of Graduate School of Engineering does not introduce professors to students nor issue ”Letter of Acceptance”.
  2. Those with other financial sources
    1. Please choose an appropriate professor in the field of study you wish to enroll by referring to the reprint of Hokkaido University Catalogue or Hokkaido University Database.
    2. Please send the following information to the professor and ask whether he could accept you.
      • Curriculum vitae including any awarded degree(s)
      • Proposed plan and/or details of your expected research/study program at Hokkaido University
      • The date when you want to begin your studies and the period you want to stay for studies
      • Whether you want to earn a degree or not
      • Your financial plan to cover all expenses during the proposed period of study.
    3. If the professor agrees to be your academic advisor, he/she will let you know what documents are necessary to carry out the application procedure.
    4. Please write to the following address to request for admission with the name and field of study of the professor you wish to have as your academic supervisor: (With the name and field of study of the professor)

      Graduate School of Engineering, Hokkaido University
      Kita 13 Nishi 8, Kita-ku Sapporo 060-8628, Japan

English Engineering Education program (e3 program)

All Divisions in the Graduate School of Engineering offer courses in English. For more information please visit e3 website.

Graduate School of Engineering, Hokkaido University
FAX: +81-11-706-6141
to top

We use cookies to improve our website for user's usability and experience.
To accept cookies, click 'Accept'. To reject cookies, click 'Deny'. This tool uses a cookie to remember your choices.
Please read cookie policy at 'About This Site.