Admission / 19.02.2021
Notice on Handling of Applications from Chinese Government Scholarship Students in AY 2021 by the Graduate School of Engineering, Hokkaido University
Pursuant to the changes made by the Chinese government regarding the handling of students under the Chinese Government Graduate Student Overseas Study Program set by the China Scholarship Council (CSC), it has become necessary from AY 2020 that Chinese government scholarship students have enrollment permission from their host universities at the time of application.
For this reason, Hokkaido University’s Administration Bureau has decided that, for AY 2021, applicants to the Chinese government scholarship can apply only to the faculties/graduate schools in HU that can give them unconditional offers as master’s, doctoral or research students by the application deadline, February 26th.
In response to this notification, we at the Faculty and Graduate School of Engineering have concluded after careful consideration that it would be extremely difficult for us to officially select successful applicants and give them enrollment permissions by the deadline. Accordingly, we have regretfully decided not to call for applications from Chinese government scholarship students in AY 2021 (enrolment in October 2021 and April 2022). We would like to ask for your kind understanding in this regard.
Please note that if an acceptance letter or invitation letter has been issued by a prospective supervisor of the Faculty and Graduation School of Engineering without a guarantee of admission to HU, such documents do not constitute proof of acceptance by HU.
In addition, please note that if you apply to the CSC for a scholarship using an acceptance letter or invitation letter issued without following the application procedures set out in HU's application guidelines, you will not be eligible for HU's exemption of examination fee, admission fee or tuition fee.
Section in charge
International Affairs Office of Engineering
Events/Reports / 14.12.2020
e3 office and the International Office of Engineering (rooms A1-58 and and A4-58) will be closed from 28th of December to 3rd of January.
Also, the Academic Affair Office and Student Support Section will be closed.
We will be unable to respond to any e-mail inquiries during this period.
All the offices will re-open from 4th of Jan (Mon).
Admission / 16.10.2020
e3 program calls for scholarship application by international students who wish to enroll in the Graduate School of Engineering for October 2021 intake under the Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship Program.
On-line application period: November 16- December 4, 2020.
Applicants are expected to be academically excellent and strongly motivated to conduct Master's or Doctoral level research at one of laboratories at the program.
Candidates will be chosen at the program through a competitive process.
This is a uniform call for MEXT scholarship for "Global Leadership Program for Cold Region Engineering” and other MEXT scholarships (University Recommendation) such as “General”, “Top Global University Scholarship” and “Study-in-Japan Global Network Scholarship”.
Please check MEXT scholarship section and scholarship application guidelines for more details.
Information / 14.09.2020
【Important】Notice of class delivery during the Second Semester at Grad School of Eng. (Updated on Sep 14)
<Notice of class delivery during the Second Semester at Grad School of Eng.>
Hokkaido University has lowered Business Continuity Plan During Coronavirus Outbreak (BCP) from Level 2 to Level 1. (https://www.hokudai.ac.jp/covid-19)
The classes of delivery for the Second Semester will be modified as follows.
We ask all the students to take close attention for infection prevention of COVID-19.
In case you use public transportation to commute, please refrain from non-essential talk and avoid rush hours as much as possible.
Please stay tuned for our update on website in case the BCP level changes.
1.The Research Activity
1) You can conduct your research activity under the utmost consideration to the spread of the infection of COVID-19. Those who are related to the lab activity must avoid the Three Cs (Closed spaces, Crowded places, and Close-contact settings)
2) Please take a permission from your supervisor of entering the facility or conducting your research.
3) We will take a record your student number, name, and the time of your arrival and departure when you enter the facility.
1) Classes of the Second Semester will be conducted with online on a continuing basis.
2) In case classes with experiments, field study or research will also be conducted online, however, some may be conducted by in person class with the full consideration of prevention of infection. Those classes which will be conducted by in person will be informed on the HP of each division. Please check them.
3) In case of the BPC level change, the classes will be modified.
3. Prevention measures at classroom
1) It is mandatory to wear a mask. Students without a mask are not allowed to enter the building.
2) In case experiments, field study or research are conducted in a classroom, please be aware the following points:
-Please wash your hands and gargle before and after your class.
-Social distancing more than 2 meters.
-Please wear face sealed mask in case you approach others.
-Using ventilators with high power and opening windows for frequent ventilation. All the windows must be opened more than 5cm, and doors must be left open. When it is difficult due to the bad weather or so, windows and doors must be opened fully for several minutes for every 30 minutes. During ventilation, students are asked to adjust with their clothes.
-As part of preventative measure, when ACs are being used, please use the ventilators as well as leaving the door and windows open.
1) It is mandatory to wear a mask. Students without a mask are not allowed to enter the building. Wash your hands and gargle frequently.
2) A cafeteria will be open with preventative measures, but please avoid crowded hours at lunch. Keep your physical distance from others.
3) The cafeteria is now taking preventive measures, such as setting a board between the seats etc., but please keep your physical distance from others as much as possible.
4) Please avoid experiments with the large number of people, and prevent three Cs. (Closed spaces, Crowded places, Close-contact settings)
5) It is recommended that study sessions and gatherings with a large number of people should be held online, avoiding face-to-face meetings.
6) Entry of the building will continue to follow the procedure for holidays in principle.
7) At the entrance of the Engineering facility, we are now conducting temperature examination using thermography camera. In case your temperature is over the set body temperature, we will ask you some questions about your current symptoms. You might be refused to enter the facility if needed.
8) Academic Affair Office will start the counter operations, however, please contact us in advance by e-mail before coming to the office. When you are going to apply for a tuition fee reduction or exemption, or if you have an urgent matter, there is no need to contact us in advance by e-mail.
9) If you are not feeling well or if you suspect an infection, please contact your academic advisor or the following:
- Coronavirus public telephone consultation counter: 011-632-4567 (9 am to 9 pm)
- Emergency Medical Consultation Center Sapporo: 011-272-7119 (24 hours)
10) If you feel depressed, or have any concerns about your mental health, the "nandemo soudan shitu (Counseling Room for Anything)" accepts consultations by e-mail.
Second Semester period
Fall Quarter: October 1st (Thursday) to November 27th (Friday)
Winter Quarter: November 30th (Monday) to February 3rd (Wednesday) 2021
There are some classes which are transferred from the First (spring and summer) Semester to the Second (fall and winter) Semester. Please check details with the HP of Grad School of Eng.
Dean of the Graduate School of Engineering
If you have inquires, please contact the following office.
Academic Affairs office of Engineering
Phone #: 011-706-6119
Information / 20.08.2020
Our website will be unavailable due to maintenance from 3p.m. Sep 10 until 1p.m. Sep 14.