Student Information

Graduation procedure - doctoral program

Procedure for Processing Application for the Degree of Doctor of Engineering 2018-2019 [PDF]

*for the most up-to-date and precise information please contact the Academic Affairs Office directly.

In this guidelines you will find:

  • General questions about graduation period and requirements
  • How and when to apply for a degree and how thesis defense is organized
  • What should be submitted to e3 office
  • What happens if it takes you longer than 3 years to graduate

Q1. How long does it take to earn a Ph.D. degree?

Normally it takes 3 years.  However for students who proceed from the master's degree program, it is possible to graduate in less than 3 years (but not less than two years).

Q2. What do I need to finish in less than 3 years?

Besides meeting all the usual requirements, you should demonstrate an "extra" competency in the subject by having publications more than the number required (please check out student manual for the year of your enrollment and consult your supervisor for the latest division requirements). 

*For what happens if you couldn't finish in 3 years, please refer to Q7~Q9

Q3. When can I leave the university?

Your studentship ends at the end of March if you enrolled in April and at the end of September if you enrolled in October.   If you have completed all the necessary requirements you can leave anytime. About one month or so before the graduation ceremony, you will be asked to verify your name that will appear on the diploma. You will be asked to apply for the additional copies of graduation certificate and transcript.  Kyomu will also check whether you plan to attend the graduation ceremony.  In case you do not, kyomu will send your diploma (and certificates) to your supervisor (or e3) to post it to you. 

Q4. Where and when can I obtain the application form needed for Ph.D. graduation?  

If you are ready to graduate, your supervisor shall request from Academic Affairs Office an ID and PW  to log in to the on-line application system.  After you key in and submit necessary information, Kyomu will check its accuracy and advise your supervisor which changes are necessary.   After everything is confirmed to be correct, kyomu will ask you to print out the forms and to bring them to the office.  You will also have to submit a copy of your temporary bound dissertation. The application deadline provided in the brochure is for temporary bound dissertation to be submitted to kyomu. You shall calculate the timing of the other nessesary steps backwards.
Since academic year 2013 Phd students are also required to publish full thesis through the ELMS system. Request for deferment of the publication shall be submitted if necessary.

Q5. What is the procedure after the application form is accepted?

Your supervisor will set up an examination committee consisting of himself and at least 3 more professors.  You will hand a copy of your temporary bound dissertation to each program committee member.  If your supervisor thinks that your dissertation is good enough, he will set a presentation date.  You will make a 45-minute presentation and answer questions from your examiners (45 minutes).  This is a closed room examination.

In the case that no major revision is necessary, your supervisor will fix another presentation date in which twelve professors who form your evaluation committee will attend.  This presentation (45+45) is open and anyone interested in your research can attend.

Finally, you will have to submit a pdf of the final dissertation text to kyomu.

Q6. What do I have to submit to e3 office?

1) e3 is publishing the dates of your final defenses on-line for your colleagues to be able to attend. Please inform e3 office about the date&time, room and title of your pubilic presentation before the deadline or as soon as fixed.

Deadlines: March graduation - by January 20, September graduation - by July 20; June and December graduation - as soon as fixed.

2) e3 office publishes research achievements of our students and maintains alumni database. We also conduct a survey on students' academic experience during the program.
Please submit to e3 office the following before the deadline:

1. Final dissertation abstract (preparation guidelines:

2. List of first-author publications in English (including conferences) and awards

3. Plan and contact information after the graduation.

4. Exit survey

Deadlines: September graduation - September 5, March graduation - March 5, June graduation - June 15, December graduation - December 15;



Q7. What happens if I cannot finish in 3 years?

Application to have your dissertation examined is accepted 4 times a year (check dissertation application guideline for details).

Your studentship can be extended until you are able to submit your application for dissertation and graduate (but not longer than for 3 years)

If you are on MEXT scholarship there are important changes to bare in mind, please refer to the next question.

Q8. I was on MEXT e3 scholarship but couldn't graduate in 3 years, what will happen?

You will stop receiving your stipend at the end of your third year.  Your status will change to self-supporting student and you will be billed for tuition fee for the period you remain a full-time student.

You will not be able to use return ticket provided by MEXT if you are not finishing your program on time.

You can apply for the waiver of tuition fee if your extension is for a full semester. Waiver applications are not accepted for 3 month extensions.  The approval is not guaranteed and so far most students who are successful get half the tuition waived not a full waiver.  

Q9. What if I finish my studentship after 3 years without graduating?

If you are not able to pay tuition fees etc., it is possible to  "leave school with the completion of coursework requirements".  You can obtain the application form from the Academic Affair Office Window#2.

You are required to submit your application for graduation within 1 year after leaving the school with the completion of the coursework. You will not be charged tuition fee for this period. You will have to come back for your dissertation examination to the University.

After you leave the school, even though your student visa may still be valid, you must return home or change your status to working visa if you are granted employment in Japan.  University has to report the status of all international students to the immigration office every month.

You have no rights to post comments