International students currently enrolled in Hokkaido University as Research students or Master's students and applying for admission to the Master's or Doctoral program in e3 under the general selection should submit following documents to e3 office by the deadline.
October 2018 Enrollment / April 2019 Enrollment (First Call), General Selection
Soft-copies submission deadline: June 12, 2018.
- Admission decision through the e3 General Selection is based on the results of the on-campus entrance examination. For the possibility to be admitted by the results of documents screening and interview please refer to admission to e3 via special selection: currently enrolled Research students, currently enrolled Master's course students.
- Not all divisions reqruit students via the general selection, please check the guidelines for more details.
- Cooperative Program for Resources Engineering has newly joined e3 and will requruit Master's course students throught general selection. It's a joint program of Kyushu and Hokkaido Universites established in 2017, the first of its kind in the resources engineering area among universities in Japan. Please check program's web page for more details.
Please carefully check the application guidelines, prepare and bring to e3 office all the nessesary documents before June 12, 2018.
- Download full applicaiton guidelines for October 2018/ April 2019 Enrollment (First Call) (e3 General selection) [Pdf]
- Link to On-line examination fee payment system
|1||e3 Application form||PDF Word|
|4|| Research proposal
|5|| Abstract of Master's thesis
Format is free, but make sure to include the title, the author, the name of the supervisor, date submitted (or expected to be submitted), and specify the type of work (bachelor’s thesis, graduation project etc)
|6|| Abstract(s) of the publication(s)
If you listed any first author papers (including conference proceedings) in your publications list, please attach an abstract. Do not attach the full paper. If paper was published in language other than English, please prepare the English abstract. Please make sure that an abstract is accompanied with full reference information including: Name(s) of the author(s), title, and publication information.
|7||Academic Transcript for current Master’s program at Hokkaido University|
Documents to Prove English Proficiency
*Documents are not required from those expected to complete Master’s degree under the e3 program. Other applicants shall follow the submission guidelines below.
Applicants whose native language is not English are required submit one of the original official test scores above the minimum requirement: TOEFL iBT, TOEFL PBT, IELTS, TOEIC L&R or a proof that they completed a full-time degree program in English (original) to be considered for exemption.
Notes on Submission:
TOEFL - Test reports can be requested to send directly to the e3 program office. If you specify that the test report form is sent directly to the e3 program office, you do not need to submit the original of the test score by yourself.
Institutional code: 8648
IELTS - Scores can be also requested to be sent directly to the e3 program office. Please specify it in the application form. If you specify that the test report form is sent directly to the e3 program office, you do not need to submit the score by yourself.
Period of Validity
|10|| Photocopy of your passport
The page showing your photo, nationality and name
General Submisison notes:
- All the required documents shall be delivered to the e3 program office before the application deadline.
- Formal application for admission is considered complete only when the examination fee is paid and the originals of the application documents arrived at the office during the specified application period. Please avoid any incorrect entries. Incomplete applications are not acceptable when you submit the hard copies for admission.
- After you have completed the submission of your application, you cannot change the contents of the application.
- For scholarships screening, the submission of originals may be required during the selection screening. Please confirm the deadlines and requirements of each scholarship.
- Application documents shall be written in English or official English translation shall be attached.
- Either original or certified copy of the documents shall be prepared, unless otherwise specified. A copy can be certified by issuing institution or notary public.
- Submitted documents are not returnable to the applicants for any reason. If any of the documents cannot be re-issued (such as graduation certificates, transcripts etc.), please submit a certified copy.
- If any false description would be found in application documents, entrance approval may be cancelled.
- Please do not staple the documents. If necessary, please use some removable clips instead.
Application and Screening Schedule: October 2018 Enrollment / April 2019 Enrollment (First Call) General Selection
Preliminary Documents Check (Soft copy submission)
|Jun 6-12, 2018|
|Documents Check Results notification||by Jun 25, 2018|
|Submission of Hard Copy Application and Examination Fee Payment*||May 15- Jun 6, 2018|
|On campus entrance examination||Aug 8-9, 2018|
|Examination results Announcement||Aug 31, 2018|
*Applicants who are expected to graduate from any Master’s degree program of Graduate Schools of Hokkaido University are exempted from the payment of the examination fees.
Submission of hard copy
After you receive the results of preliminary check please bring the originals to e3 office directly.
If you are not in Japan in that period, please post your documents to reach our office no later than the application deadline.
In such case the pplication documents shall be submitted by the registered airmail, courier service or other services that provide tracking and delivery confirmation options (DHL, FedEX, EMS, etc).
It is applicants’ own responsibility to estimate the required delivery time in order to meet the application deadline.
The e3 program office will not respond to inquiries regarding the delivery and receipt of individual application documents. Once your documents are delivered and processed, you will receive a notification from the e3 program. The notification will usually be sent within 3 working days of the documents delivery to the e3 program office.
Address: English Engineering Education (e3) Program Office