Information for Applicants April 2013
Master's Course and Doctoral Course (final term)
Please inquire directly if the area you wish to enter is accepting applicants before applying.
The application will proceed through the application procedure when it receives the consent of the instructor of the desired area.
Also, there is a preliminary examination of the applicant's eligibility prior to accepting their application. See section 3 for information concerning the preliminary examination and section 5 for the application document.
The results of the preliminary examination will be announced on January 17 (Thu), 2013. The candidates who pass the preliminary examination are required to pay the administration fee explained in section 4.
The application will be rejected if the administration fee is not paid by the required time.
See “entrance requirements for students” for information not covered in the following items.
1. Divisions in the Graduate School of Engineering
|Division of Applied Physics||Division of Field Engineering for the Environment|
|Division of Materials Science and Engineering||Division of Engineering and Policy for Sustainable Environment|
|Division of Mechanical and Space Engineering||Division of Architectural and Structural Design|
|Division of Human Mechanical Systems and Design||Division of Human Environmental Systems|
|Division of Energy and Environmental Systems||Division of Environmental Engineering|
|Division of Quantum Science and Engineering||Division of Sustainable Resources Engineering|
2. Application Qualifications
- Master's course
- Students who have completed, or will complete by March 2013, a course of 16 years of formal education in a foreign country.
- Graduates from other graduate courses will be considered equally with the students mentioned above and who will be 22 years of age by March 31, 2013.
- Doctoral course (final term)
- Students who have completed, or will complete by March 2013, a Master's degree or its equivalent from a university in a foreign country.
- Graduates with degrees equivalent to a Master's degree from other graduate courses will be considered equally with the students mentioned above and who will be 24 years of age by March 31, 2013.
3. Period of the preliminary examination of the applicant's eligibility
- From January 7 (Mon), 2013, until January 9 (Wed), 2013. (The period is the same for both the master's course and the doctoral course.)
- Applications will be received from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., excluding Saturday, Sunday and national holiday.
4. Application acceptance period
[Applicants who DON'T use online system]
January 18 (Fri), 2013 - January 25 (Fri), 2013
[Applicants who use online system]
Online application period:
January 18 (Fri), 2013 - January 24 (Thu), 2013
Deadline to submit required documents:
January 25 (Fri), 2013
- Applications sent by mail must also arrive during this period. Applications will be received from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., excluding Saturday and Sunday.
5. Application documents
- The application form, resume and the examination admission card (available from application booklet)
- An explanation why you apply for this course on the sheet provided (for master's course applicants), an abstract of your Master's thesis (for doctoral course applicants)
- Transcript of Bachelor's course and Master's course (except for students from School / Graduate school of Engineering, Hokkaido University.)
- Certificate of graduation or Photocopy of diploma (except for students from School / Graduate school of Engineering, Hokkaido University.)
- Recommendation letter from your supervisor at graduated institution. (except for students from School / Graduate school of Engineering, Hokkaido University.)
- Photocopy of passport (for applicants from abroad) or Photocopy of Alien Registration Card (for applicants in Japan)
- Two self-addressed envelopes and correspondence seals including name, address and postal code. (use the envelopes and seals included)
- Application for the preliminary examination of the applicant's eligibility (available from application booklet.)
- Envelops for announcement of the result of preliminary examination about qualification (available at office)
060-8628 Kita 13 Nishi 8 Kita-ku Sapporo
Academic Affairs, Graduate school of Engineering, Hokkaido University
(In charge of the Graduate School)